Clean Contaminated Laundry
Last updated: Mar 11 2013.
Steps to follow if your laundry is contaminated:
- spot treat contaminated areas for 15 minutes with a 10% household bleach solution or place within a biohazard bag and autoclave
- handle laundry (bedding, etc.) as little as possible with a minimum of shaking
- bag or containerize at the location where it was used, but do not sort or rinse in the location of useplace and transport laundry in bags or containers red in color, or label with the biohazard symbol
- wet laundry presents the probability of leakage from bag or container; use bags or containers which prevent leakage of fluids to exterior
- immediate supervisors must ensure that employees who have contact with contaminated laundry wear protective gloves and other appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- DO NOT send contaminated laundry off site to a facility that has not been approved by the Yale Purchasing Department or EHS.
Ameripride Linen and Apparel Services is well in compliance with the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard and is currently the recommended vendor.
Contact Amerpride at 777-7281.